Saturday, July 30, 2016

New Testament as Story: What or How Should I Tell?

Yung Suk Kim

It is no question that the New Testament is full of stories. I talk about how Jesus, Paul, and early Christian communities lived their lives as best as they could. I am indignant about Jesus’ innocent suffering caused by the political and religious powers. My voice turns dull and cumbersome in such a moment.  I admire Jesus for his life-risking work for God. I talk about Paul’s passion for God's good news for all, Jews and Gentiles.

After Paul, the churches became conservative and abandoned Paul’s vision of equality in Christ. Thus, for example, women were subordinate in the church. 


While tons of NT stories can be told from the reader’s diverse interpretive perspectives, not all the stories are equally effective or sound. So the question is how to interpret many diverse yet divergent stories in the New Testament and how to retell them in our tongue. 




No comments: