Saturday, April 18, 2015

Photo Essay: The Way It Is

Yung Suk Kim

Photo Essay
The Way It Is!

A good theologian must be a great poet who thinks deeply about the meaning of existence of world and people. This afternoon I took a trip to the nearby park, Deep Run, in Richmond, VA. I walked a lot and gave me lots of poetic thoughts about nature.

Key words of this photo essay: interpretation, diversity, solidarity, perspective, the way, weakness, nature, beauty, others, reality, participation, poet, theologian


I am blessed with an eternity out here: moments of breathing fresh air, standing alone for seconds with intention, focusing on what I like to do, asking for a help from somebody unknown, and above all, the sky, trees, lake, fountain, wooden deck, and the very time and earth.



  I walked trails.


I looked up and down and marveled at the complex yet understandable picture of this. I saw green leaves and trees; and yet right next to them lie dead trees and their branches. This is the way it is and we call it nature. Then, suddenly, my thinking mode switched to theological poetic sensitivity. I continued to walk along the trails, wondering about the reality of the downside or dark side of nature.


I cannot believe this dry trunk. Why did this happen? By nature or some other natural forces? Is this natural and okay in nature? Or is this something unnatural? Can it be there any remedy to this? From a holistic perspective, is this picture as a whole just beautiful?
Everywhere I went through the trails, I saw the fallen trees. What can we think of this dark part of nature? Of course, I don't mean the dark side is simply bad. But the question is, Is there good sacrifice that we have to accept? For whom and why?


Oops! This tree was broken and dried. What is wrong with this? Or, is it just natural? How is this seen by the background trees?


We tend to see the bright side of things without paying attention to their complex or dark side. But when we see things out there from a holistic perspective, we can appreciate the way and reality in which all things are intricately connected. This is a mystery of life in nature. No one, human or not, can live independently. Even weakness or vulnerability may have a role to play in our lives though not desired by us.




No comments: